There’s been a lot of talk on the CDL Life boards about firearms, self-defense rights for truck drivers and conceal & carry laws. The truth is, it’s a complex issue because of differing opinions between states, trucking companies, insurance companies and federal lawmakers. While there are plans in place to unify all conceal & carry laws so truck drivers can bring their properly documented guns into any state they wish, those unified laws just aren’t in the books yet.
So we thought, until then, we would review a few items that truck drivers can take along to help keep them safe at rest stops, service plazas and just about anywhere else. These are all considered non-lethal weapons in most cities and states around the US, with a few exceptions listed below. Most do not require special permits to carry, but always be sure what the rules are within the states on your route no matter what.
The following states consider stun guns illegal:
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
The following cities/counties consider stun guns illegal: Annapolis, MD; Baltimore, MD; Crawford County, IA; District Of Columbia; Philadelphia, PA.
All set? Let’s have a look at some truck driver self defense gear options.
PEACEMAKER Nightstick 6,000,000 Volt Stun Baton
- Part tactical flashlight, part high-powered stun gun
- Rechargeable battery that works with any inverter outlet
- 6,000,000-volt 14.5″ stun baton
- Restricted States: HI,IL,MA,MI,NJ,NY,RI,WI, MD, DC,PA
Fury Tactical Expandable Baton-21”
- 21″ Full Extension
- Power Grip Rubberized Handle
- Belt-Slide Ballistic Nylon Holster
Mace Pen Defender
- Non-suspicious looking item for truckers
- Good for close contact confrontations
- Real quality working pen inside
- Refillable unit holds fuel for 5 sprays
Guard Dog Diablo Stun Gun Flashlight
- 160-lumen field light
- 4.5 million volt stun gun
- Powered probes completely embedded within outer layer
- Type III aircraft grade aluminum alloy body
- 100,000-hour bulb
Sabre 600,000 Volt Stun Gun
- Includes an LED light and holster
- On off switch & trigger switch for safety
- 2 year warranty
- 45% smaller than traditional stun guns