By Abby Lowe- Dietitian
Losing weight can be tough, but did you know that just by cutting 100 calories a day, you could lose 10 or more pounds in one year, without exercise?
CDL Life has put together a list of simple substitutions you can make to cut out 100 calories (or more) per day.
- Swap a bagel for 2 slices of whole-wheat toast (actually save almost 200 calories).
- If you have to have that bagel, eat half and save the other half for tomorrow. OR eat one “mini” bagel.
- Eat an actual orange instead of drinking orange juice.
- Drink nonfat or 1% milk instead of 2% or whole milk.
- Flavor your coffee with nonfat milk, cinnamon and nutmeg instead of cream and flavored syrup.
- Try lean ham or Canadian bacon in place of regular sausage or bacon.
- Fill your omelet with onions, peppers, spinach and mushrooms instead of cheese and meat.
- If you are craving a muffin, just eat the top. (The bottom isn’t as good anyways!)
- If you are treating yourself to a doughnut, choose a yeast doughnut instead of a denser cake one.
- Try turkey bacon in place of pork bacon.
- Make your sandwich with light, whole-wheat bread.
- Flavor your burger with lettuce, tomato, onions AND pickles instead of cheese.
- Try a portion-controlled frozen meal in place of a burger and fries.
- Choose the soft taco size (6-8 inch) flour tortillas instead of the giant burrito size.
- Leave 3-4 bites on your plate.
- Try pretzels instead of regular chips.
- Try baked chips in place of the regular kind.
- Try a side salad instead of fries when ordering fast food.
- Get your deli sandwich with deli turkey breast instead of hard salami.
- Add Dijon mustard to your sandwich instead of mayonnaise.
- Make your own salad dressing with 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Order your pizza with grilled chicken in place of pepperoni.
- Opt for broth-based soups over cream-based ones.
- Choose grilled chicken over breaded and fried.
- Get your sauce and salad dressing on the side. Eat enough so that you enjoy the flavor, but leave most of it behind.
- Trade butter or full-fat cream cheese for flavorful spreads (like Laughing Cow) made with garlic and herbs.
- Chinese please! Get your meal with steamed rice (brown rice when possible) as an alternative to fried rice.
- Skip the Alfredo sauce and choose marinara sauce instead. You can eat more of the marinara and still cut more than 100 calories.
- Limit yourself to 1 hot dog instead of 2.
- Say no to the fried onion rings and enjoy them grilled with your meal instead.
- For dessert, eat low-fat frozen yogurt over regular ice cream.
- Pick sugar-free chocolate pudding over regular.
- Rather than drink a strawberry milkshake, choose a smoothie with low-fat milk and real fruit.
- When you are ordering an ice cream cone, opt for the sugar cone, not the waffle.
- Go for the 12 ounce can of soda instead of the 20-ounce bottle.
- Satisfy chocolate cravings with 2 individually wrapped dark chocolate squares or truffles instead of a full-sized bar.
- Freeze bananas for an ice cream-like treat.
- Freeze grapes or watermelon wedges for a popsicle-like treat.
- Choose apple, peach, blueberry or other fruit pies over pecan or cream pies.
- Eat a piece of sheet cake from the middle where there is less icing/frosting.
CDL Life is committed to improving helping improve the lives of drivers. If you’re wanting to get in shape and lose weight, here are some other article that might help you on the road to health and wellness:
Category: Food & Diet