Truck drivers might be getting more for their money this year, as Pilot made an announcement today. The company announced today that they will be making a $49 million investment to remodel and upgrade nearly every shower facility at every truck stop in North America. By December of 2013 Pilot Flying J will have upgraded all of the more than 4,400 showers in the network with 75% of the showers rebuilt. The project is expected to be finished just before the beginning of 2014.
If truck drivers are concerned that this may create a shortage of facilities, the office of communications at Pilot / Flying J says they will work hard to ensure that wait times will be minimal, if changed at all.
During remodeling, showers will remain open at each location so that customers can continue to use the facilities without interruption. As part of the upgrades, Pilot Flying J plans to install all high-quality products including specially designed porcelain tile and new mold-resistant grout to improve maintenance and cleanliness of the shower.
The shower upgrades include many other improvements designed with the driver’s experience in mind, including:
- more hooks to hang and store personal items;
- new shower gel;
- better ventilation;
- iPod listening stations to allow drivers to play their own music;
- custom-designed benches for seating or to place personal belongings;
- softer, thicker, larger towels;
- brand-new cloth bathmats;
- and high-end, spa-style shower heads that provide ideal water pressure for a great shower experience.