This is CDL Life’s Trucker Specific GPS Shootout for Fall 2011.
There’s a LOT of information about Trucking GPS Hardware out there. We won’t be trying to add to the clutter. We want you to know what the latest hardware sets cost, reliable sellers to get them from, and if the models have any associated extra costs. We’ll also be back in 2012 for a new model review.
Rand McNally Intelliroute TND 500 / $299 – $335
The Intelliroute 710 was designed from inception in partnership with professional OTR drivers in order to create a system that can help truckers in each phase of their work day. Focus was placed on ease of planning to trucker-specific driving enhancements to reporting. With 35% more truck routing information than other GPS units, the device is Rand McNally’s flagship model for 2011, derived from more than 70 years in the commercial transportation industry.
- Truck specific info customizable by route, load type, fuel economy and weight
- Truckers Friend National Truck Stop Directory – fuel, rest stop & weigh station info
- TruckDown program – database of truck repair & towing services by location
- Exportable reports of state-by-state mileage
- Enhanced Quick Planner: City to city mileage and profitability calculator
- Volume boost for extra-noisy tractor cabs
Screen size: 7, Screen resolution: High Definition, Mounting hardware type: glass mount, Software: Pre-installed w/free updates, Countries mapped: USA, Canada
Garmin DÄ“zl 560 LT / $400 – $440
The Garmin DÄ“zl 560LT combines the NTTS Breakdown Directory POIs with Navteq trucking POIs to provide you the most comprehensive, trucking-specific POI list. It features an integrated FM traffic receiver and free lifetime traffic updates. Once a traffic alert is issued, you can quickly get a new route by punching an update button on-screen. It is also compatible with any Bluetooth phone, and can serve as a nearly hands-free calling interface and contact database.
- Customizable points of interest/road notes
- Reroute program that allows you to avoid toll roads, pick economical routes, load-safe routes or weather-safe routes
- HOS violation warning system (toggle on/off)
- Exportable reports
Screen size: 5, Screen resolution: 480×272, Mounting hardware type: Weighted dash friction, Software: Pre-installed w/free traffic updates, Countries mapped: USA, Canada, Mexico, Europe
Cobra 7750 Platinum Professional Truck Driver GPS / $340 – $375
Cobra may be more well-known for its radar detector line of electronics, but they’re able to partner with some pretty powerful companies to make a decent GPS unit aimed at professional drivers and truckers. This unit features 33,000 points of interest, 12 types of truck designs for the fuel efficiency program and hazard routes, as well as many more special perks designed to get OTR truckers where they’re going safely and under-budget.
- Enhanced routing using vehicle height, width and weight limits
- STAA (Surface Transportation Assistance Act) National Highway Network
- State Access Roads
- National Bridge Inventory List
- HAZMAT Route Registry
- 100% verified fixed speed & red light camera locations
- Dangerous intersection warning system
Screen size: 7, Mounting hardware type: glass mount, suction, Software: Pre-installed w/ free daily updates for 90 days, Countries mapped: USA, Canada
Trusted online sellers of GPS units:
The next question is, Have mobile GPS/Traffic Assist Apps for Truckers caught up with their hardware-based GPS counterparts? We’ll be back with the answer to that soon!