More than 425 truck drivers, from 50 states, competed in the 2012 National Truck Driving Championship (NTDC) this weekend in Minneapolis.
The competition consisted of an indoor course that challenged the drivers knowledge of their equipment, safety and the industry. The skills course tested drivers ability to judge distances, maneuver through tight spaces, reverse park, and position their trucks precisely over the scale, before barriers and after.
The NTDC is sponsored by the American Trucking Association and this year marks the competition’s 75th anniversary.
Fed Ex Freight driver, Don Logan of Topeka, Kansas was named the Bendix National Truck Driving Champion. Logan has been a professional driver for 25 years and has more than 2.1 million, accident free miles under his belt. He began competing in 2006. This marks the 6th year Logan has competed and the third year he has won at the state level. He placed 1st in the three-axle class in 2009 and in the twins class in 2010.
Additionally, Logan was awarded the Vehicle Condition Award (VCA), one of the longest running NTDC awards, as well as the individual flatbed driving competition.
The VCA recognizes the contestant who has proven throughout the competition that he or she has a thorough understanding of equipment, an extraordinary ability to inspect and evaluate a truck’s condition and a commitment to safety.
Logan succeeds Paul Phillips as the National Grand Champion.
ABF Freight driver, Robert Sutton, was named the 2012 National Rookie of the Year.
The Pennsylvania state truck driving championship team won honors as the highest scoring state team. This is the 15th year Pennsylvania has won the state trophy since 1956.
Dennis Litalien, a driver for Clifford W. Perham Inc., from Wells, Maine was awarded the Neil Darmstadter Professional Excellence Award.
Jack Taylor was awarded the Life-Time Volunteer Award. This is Taylor’s 20th year volunteering at the NTDC.
Here is a list of the 2012 winners:
Straight Truck: PA – Robert Dolan, Con-way Freight, Allentown, Pa.
Three-Axle: MA – Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express, Windsor, Conn.
Four-Axle: NE – Scott Stroup, YRC Freight, Omaha, Neb.
Five-Axle: ID – Michael Grogan, Con-way Freight, Boise, Idaho
Flatbed: KS – Donald Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
Tank Truck: KY – Brent Quire, Con-way Freight, Louisville, Ky.
Twins: AL -Michael Umphrey, Con-way Freight, Decatur, Ala.
Sleeper Berth: PA – Leo Flack, A. Duie Pyle, Inc., West Chester, Pa.
Step Van: Edward Gertz, FedEx Express, Londonderry, N.H.
2012 National Truck Driving Championship Winners:
Straight Truck Class
1. PA – Robert Dolan, Con-way Freight, Allentown, Pa.
2. NJ – Michael Scripko, Con-way Freight, Hamilton, N.J.
3. AL – Scott Ward, Con-way Freight, Decatur, Ala.
- MA – Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express, Windsor, Conn.
- NY – Gerald Thompson, Con-way Freight, Tonawanda, N.Y.
- NH – Wayne McClellan, Con-way Freight, Manchester, N.H.
- NE – Scott Stroup, YRC Freight, Omaha, Neb.
- OR – Christopher Outen, FedEx Freight, Portland, Ore.
- PA – Kevin Miskiewicz, YRC Freight, Line Lexington, Pa.
1. ID – Michael Grogran, Con-way Freight, Boise, Idaho
2. CA – Richard Camarda, ABF Freight System, Inc., Sacramento, Calif.
3. WA – Gary Herrygers, The Boeing Company, Renton, Wash.
1. KS – Donald Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
2. ME – Kevin Duran, Hannaford Trucking Co., Portland, Maine
3. WV – Kenneth Grimmett, Con-way Freight, Belle, W.Va.
Tank Truck Class
- KY – Brent Quire, Con-way Freight, Louisville, Ky.
- MS – Jason Matte, FedEx Freight, Richland, Miss.
- WA – Victor Skoglund, FedEx Freight, Everett, Wash.
- AL – Michael Umphrey, Con-way Freight, Decatur, Ala.
- NY – Mark McLean, FedEx Freight, Montgomery, N.Y.
- NC – Leonard Coelman, FedEx Freight, Greensboro, N.C.
Sleeper Berth Class
- PA – Leo Flack, A. Duie Pyle, Inc., Westchester, Pa.
- LA – Pat Rudesill, FedEx Ground, Hammond, La.
- WA – Roy Carcia, Peninsula Truck Lines, Spokane, Wash.
- NH – Edward Gertz, FedEx Express, Londonderry, N.H.
- AZ – Sean Saxon, FedEx Ground, Tempe, Ariz.
- N.C. – Michael Bills, FedEx Express, Durham, N.C.
Bendix National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion: Don Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
National Rookie of the Year: Robert Sutton, ABF Freight System, Inc., Boise, Idaho
Team Trophy: The Pennsylvania state truck driving championship team won honors as the highest scoring state team, followed by Washington and Georgia respectively.
Vehicle Condition Award: Don Logan, FedEx Freight, Topeka, Kan.
Neill Darmstadter Professional Excellence Award: Denis Litalien, Clifford W. Perham, Inc., Wells, Maine
Life-Time Volunteer Award: Jack Taylor