If you’re like most drivers, you’re all about that morning cup of coffee. According to recent studies that cup of joe has been linked to positive emotions such as pleasure, activity, energy, and happiness – in that order (especially in the mornings). But what’s so great about it besides that fact that it makes us feel great?
- It gives us a boost! It’s common knowledge that coffee gives us that jolt of energy that we need to get us through the day. But according to studies, it can also boost athletic performance as well. The exposure that our muscles get to caffeine when we drink coffee minimizes the effects of training. – But that doesn’t mean it’s a replacement of a workout. It simply boosts endurance and helps with the replenishment of the carbohydrates found in muscles. – It can also help to burn fat since it has a stimulating effect on the central nervous system. It actually raises metabolism and can increase the oxidation process of fatty acids.
- It contains antioxidants! Coffee beans are the little seeds found inside of a red berry which is sometimes referred to as a ‘coffee cherry.’ Like many plants, these seeds and berries are extremely antioxidant-rich. It’s actually known as the best source of antioxidants in the typical American diet – 50% of United States Citizens begin their day with a cup of coffee.
- It lowers the risk of disease. According to a number of studies comparing coffee-drinkers to non-coffee-drinkers, this beverage is known to lower the risk of colon cancer, gallstones, liver cirrhosis, breast cancer, endometrial cancer, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, dementia, and diabetes. – This is believed to be due to the antioxidant-rich nature of the coffee bean.
- It may offset aging! Caffeine is known to offset the loss of muscle strength which occurs when we age. These results have been noticed in the diaphragm (the muscle that helps us with respiration) as well as the skeletal muscles. It’s also known to prevent brain inflammation which happens prior to neurodegenerative diseases and cognitive impairments.
- If consumed regularly, it won’t dehydrate us! Although it’s technically a diuretic which is a trigger to fluid loss – after 5 days of consumption, the body adjusts and the dehydrating quality is negated.