Osteoporosis – a bone disease caused by the loss of bone density or a lack of bone in general – causes bones to weaken and become easily breakable. This condition is a very real issue for many. In fact, nearly 9 million Americans suffer from osteoporosis, and approximately 48 million Americans have a low bone density. In short, 60% of all Americans over the age of 50 are at serious risk of breaking their bones due to this condition. The most commonly effected areas include the hip, wrist, and spine – however other bones are also susceptible. This condition can also have an impact on the posture of those suffering from it.
But how do you prevent it?
- Eat a balanced diet
- Get plenty of Calcium & Vitamin D
- Avoid Smoking
- Limit Alcohol Consumption
So, what should I be eating?
1. Bananas contain a significant amount of potassium! Potassium plays a huge role when it comes to preventing the body’s loss of calcium.
2. Orange Juice although orange juice doesn’t naturally contain calcium or Vitamin D, it’s often fortified with both! Drinking a delicious glass of orange juice can really save you bones! – Plus, the ascorbic acid found in orange juice can help to absorb calcium!
3. Prunes or dried plums, are one of the most powerful fruits when it comes to reinforcing your bones!
4. Roasted Pumpkin Seeds these tasty little puppies contain potassium, phosphorous, protein, copper, magnesium, and zinc! What more could you ask for?
5. Yogurt not only supplies the body with plenty of calcium, it also contains probiotics! One little cup of yogurt makes up a whopping 35% of your daily calcium intake!
Check out The 8 Best Foods for Bone Health.
Sign up for the CDLLife Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list and get today's top trucking news delivered to your inbox.