As the weather bears down on us, our quest continues to discover the ultimate weather app and prediction system. Here’s a little breakthrough! Weather Underground has a great little radar map on their website called the WunderMap®. Not only does this map have great radar, satellite, fronts, and severe weather layers that can be applied, it also has a feature that could be helpful to drivers in a big way! Their “Trips” button takes you to a drop down that requests your departure location, time, and final destination. Once you’ve input the appropriate information, you are presented with a weather map that lets you know what kind of conditions you’ll be facing along your route. The route map also includes warning information for the more extreme severe conditions you’ll encounter along the way.
In addition to Weather Underground‘s extremely useful WunderMap® – they also have a great free app for both iPhone and Android! This great little app is highly accurate, allows you to input locations that you’d like to keep tabs on the weather for at all times (like home), and also features a notification system to alert you of poor weather conditions. The beauty of the notifications system, is that it’s customizable. You can choose exactly what kinds of conditions you would like to be notified of.
Here’s a quick description:
- Our 22,000+ personal weather stations report the most localized weather conditions
- Our proprietary forecast model ingests data from our local weather stations to generate the most granular and reliable forecasts available – try us and see for yourself!
The most interactive weather map on mobile allows you to select from different weather overlays including current conditions from our personal weather station network, animated radar and satellite and severe weather.
- Current conditions from your local weather station include temperature, feels like temperatures, wind speed and direction, humidity, dew point, visibility, pressure, gusts and moon phase
- 7-day Forecasts including text summary
- Hourly Forecasts including sunrise and sunset
- Interactive Maps showing all weather stations in your neighborhood with animated radar and satellite
- List view of saved Favorite Locations and Recent Searches
- Twitter Integration – share weather data straight onto your Twitter handle and follow the latest weather trends on the Wunderground Twitter Feed
- Tropical and Hurricane Reports
- Snow and Winter Sport reports
- Weather commentary from Dr Jeff Masters
- National Weather Service Radio
- Click on the weather station icon on the top right of the home screen to view data from different local weather stations – select the station closest to your home or work
- To change location and set favorites click on the location button at the top of the home screen