Tortilla soup is one of my personal favorites – this savory soup could be prepared on the road using an electric or induction cooktop, or it could be made at home and the leftovers could be packaged to take out and eat later on. It only gets better the longer it sits, and since this recipe makes 8-10 servings you’ll have plenty left over!
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4 Cups Beef Broth
4 Cups Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup Tomato Juice
1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
1 Tsp. Chili Powder
1 Fresh Jalapeño Pepper, Seeded & Chopped
1 Tsp. Salt
3/4 Tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 Cups Shredded, Cooked Chicken
*Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
1. Seed and dice 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, and chop 1 medium sized onion.
2. Sauté the onion and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3. Add in 4 cups of both beef and chicken broths, 1/2 cup of tomato juice, 1 teaspoon of cumin, chili powder, and salt. At this time you’re also going to want to add in the diced jalapeño, and 3/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Stir the mixture together, heat to boiling and then reduce the heat to a simmer covered for 1 hour.
4. In the meantime, you’ll want to shred 2 cups of cooked chicken (you can specifically cook chicken for this soup, or use the remainder of last night’s grilled or rotisserie chicken).
5. Add the shredded chicken to the soup in the last 5 minutes, and while you’re waiting toss a few tortilla chips into the bottom of your bowl!
6. Pour the soup over the chips in your bowl – top with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and a few slices of avocado if you like!