The time to file your Form 2290 is just around the corner. Last year, nearly 100,000 drivers were penalized for late filing. IRS Form 2290 – and the $550 heavy vehicle use tax payment that goes with it – is due August 31.
Who Must File:
You may be an individual, limited liability company (LLC), corporation, partnership, or any other type of organization (including nonprofit, charitable, educational, etc.).
Figure and pay the tax due on highway motor vehicles used during the period with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more.
- Figure and pay the tax due on a vehicle for which you completed the suspension statement on another Form 2290 if that vehicle later exceeded the mileage use limit during the period. See Suspended vehicles exceeding the mileage use limit, later.
- Figure and pay the tax due if, during the period, the taxable gross weight of a vehicle increases and the vehicle falls into a new category. See the instructions for line 3, later.
- Claim suspension from the tax when a vehicle is expected to be used 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles) during the period.
- Claim a credit for tax paid on vehicles that were destroyed, stolen, sold, or used 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles).
- Report acquisition of a used taxable vehicle for which the tax has been suspended.
- Figure and pay the tax due on a used taxable vehicle acquired and used during the period. See Used vehicle later.
Dual registration. If a taxable vehicle is registered in the name of both the owner and another person, the owner is liable for the tax. This rule also applies to dual registration of a leased vehicle.Used vehicle. If you acquire and register or are required to register a used taxable vehicle in your name during the tax period, you must keep as part of your records proof showing whether there was a use of the vehicle or a suspension of the tax during the period before the vehicle was registered in your name. The evidence may be a written statement signed and dated by the person (or dealer) from whom you purchased the vehicle.
When To File
|IF, in this period, the vehicle is first used during …||THEN, file Form 2290 and make your payment by1…||and enter this date on Form 2290, line 1|
|July, 2013||August 31, 2013||201307|
|August, 2013||September 30, 2013||201308|
|September, 2013||October 31, 2013||201309|
|October, 2013||November 30, 2013||201310|
|November, 2013||December 31, 2013||201311|
|December, 2013||January 31, 2014||201312|
|January, 2014||February 28, 2014||201401|
|February, 2014||March 31, 2014||201402|
|March, 2014||April 30, 2014||201403|
|April, 2014||May 31, 2014||201404|
|May, 2014||June 30, 2014||201405|
|June, 2014||July 31, 2014||201406|
|1 File by this date regardless of when state re|