A simple mistake by a tanker truck driver in Meckleburg County, Virginia sent 11 people to the hospital and caused a hazardous material scare in the area.
The driver was offloading chemicals at the Roanoke River Service Authority Water Treatment Works and accidentally put the chemical in the wrong tank.
HazMat crews were called to the plant to remove the chemical.
The Sheriff’s department went door to door to tell people in the area what was happening.
In total, 7 firefighters, 1 rescue crew member, 2 plant employees, and the delivery driver were all sent to the hospital because of fume inhalation.
Eight of the 11 have been treated and released.
The situation is now under control and the water treatment plant has been re-opened.
Authorities also said, the incident did not affect the water supply for the county and is still safe to use and drink.
There is no information on what chemical was involved.