The Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) and Carriers Edge last week announced the 2014 winners ofBest Fleets to Drive For. This year marks the 6th year for the survey and contest, with helps to identify carriers that provided the “best workplace experience for their drivers.”
The annual contest spotlights carriers that have been nominated by drivers. The companies that were nominated are then evaluated on a “broad range of criteria” such as driver compensation, benefits, driver support, the company’s commitment to a favorable work-life balance, safety, annual turnover rate and more.
Last month, the TCA announced the top 20 nominees. The final contestants were then narrowed down further.
Two companies were selected as the Best Fleets to Drive For: Bison Transport of Winnipeg, Manitoba was selected as the Best Overall Fleet for Company Drivers and Paramount Freight Systems, LLC of Ft. Meyers, Florida, was selected as the Best Overall Fleet for Owner Operators.
“Bison and Paramount are at the forefront of an industry that recognizes our most important asset is our people. They have carefully studied what people need and want in a job, as well as what motivates them to stick with a career in trucking long-term. Congratulations to these companies for figuring out what works and then making it happen,” TCA President Chris Burruss said.
Bison Transport has shown up on the Top 20 list four times, and the company has won several safety awards from the TCA. This year, Bison received the highest score ever recorded in the “programs” section of the TCA’s evaluation. In addition, Bison has a very low turnover rate of 20% for a fleet of its size.
Paramount Freight has joined Bison on the list three times. This year, Paramount Freight took the spotlight after implementing an “innovative bonus program that compensates for the fact that contractors do not receive holiday pay.” In addition, Paramount provides more than one week of training per year to contract drivers.
This is the third time that Paramount Freight Systems has been named an overall winner of Best Fleets to Drive For. The company has implemented an innovative bonus program that compensates for the fact that contractors do not receive holiday pay. It also provides more than a week of training per year to contractors. Such perks may be the reason why Paramount received the highest driver-satisfaction score in the program this year.
Mark Murrell, president of CarriersEdge, based in Markham, Ontario, said, “We continue to be amazed by the terrific programs the Best Fleets winners are coming up with. The investment these companies are making in their people is clearly a success story for all parties involved – from support staff, to drivers, to the chief executive officer.”
This year’s winners are as follows:
- Bison Transport, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Brian Kurtz Trucking Ltd., Breslau, Ontario
- Central Oregon Trucking Company, Inc., Redmond, Oregon
- DJ Knoll Transport Ltd., Emerald Park, Saskatchewan
- Fremont Contract Carriers, Inc., Fremont, Nebraska
- FTC Transportation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Gordon Trucking, Inc., Pacific, Washington
- Grammer Industries, Inc., Grammer, Indiana
- Grand Island Express, Grand Island, Nebraska
- Halvor Lines, Inc., Superior, Wisconsin
- Kriska Holdings Ltd., Prescott, Ontario
- Landstar System, Inc., Jacksonville, Florida
- Load One, LLC, Taylor, Michigan
- Motor Carrier Service, Inc., Northwood, Ohio
- Paramount Freight Systems, LLC, Ft. Myers, Florida
- Prime Inc., Springfield, Missouri
- Sue Vinje Trucking, Superior, Wisconsin
- TimeLine Logistic International Ltd., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Transpro Freight Systems, Ltd., Milton, Ontario
- Trimac Transportation, Calgary, Alberta
In addition, five companies have been identified as “Fleets to Watch” (honorable mentions) for demonstrating innovation in their driver programs:
- Drive Logistics, Windsor, Ontario
- Erb Group of Companies, New Hamburg, Ontario
- Roehl Transport Inc., Marshfield, Wisconsin
- Steelman Transportation, Inc., Springfield, Missouri
- Tennant Truck Lines, Inc., Colona, Illinois
Image Credit: Copyright: Konstantin Sutyagin– Shutterstock