The California Air Resource Board yesterday announced that in 2013, the Board settled 256 cases involving truck and bus air quality violations.
More than $2 million in fines will be distributed to the California Air Pollution Control Fund and to the Peralta Colleges Foundation– “$1,703,084 for research projects to improve California’s air quality, with the remaining $417,167 going to the college district to fund diesel emission education classes and diesel technology certificate and degree programs, conducted by participating California community colleges around the state, and $57,562 to fund school bus diesel particulate filter installations,” CARB stated.
“ARB’s diesel risk reduction program is designed to limit the amount of harmful pollution from diesel engines,” said ARB Enforcement Chief James Ryden. “Companies who fail to comply with the regulations are contributing to that pollution, and that is
when ARB must take action.”
In total, CARB collected $2,177,813 in fines from violations ranging from failure to comply with the state’s truck and bus certification procedures to failure to meet emissions standards.
The companies paying the highest amounts were:
• Thermo King Corporation – $213,200
• California Gas Transport – $136,125
• GC Harvesting – $120,000
• KS Industries, Inc. – $230,250
• Roly’s Trucking – $58,000
• White Arrow- $50,700
• THX Transport – $50,000
The companies involved in other settlements were:
• Altos Brothers Trucking
• Amador Transit
• A.M. Ortega Construction, Inc.
• Apple Valley Unified School District
• Arctic Glacier Ice, Inc.
• Bear Valley Electric Service
• Berryessa Garbage Service
• California American Water
• Capital Drum, Inc.
• Cardenas Markets, Inc.
• CR&R Waste & Recycling
• Daly Movers, Inc.
• Dash Transport, Inc.
• Dolphin Express/ Dolphin Transport
• ESTES West
• File Keepers, LLC
• F.N.F Rolloff Services
• Hansen & Adkins Auto Transport
• Jerry Melton & Sons Construction Inc.
• JLV Transport LLC, Lakeport Disposal Company, Inc.
• Mike Tamana freight Lines, LLC
• Mountainside Disposal, Inc.
• MVP Trucking, Inc.
• Old Durham Wood Co.
• Oltmans Construction
• Pacific Green Trucking
• Pemer Packing Company
• R &F Disposal
• Redwood Debris Box
• Reeve Trucking
• Rodolfe Nunez DBA Nunez Transport
• Selma Disposal &Recycling, Inc.
• Smartway Express
• Sterling Express Services
• Transloading Express, Inc.
• Victor Nunez DBA Nunez Transport
• Vigold Transport Systems, Inc.
• Water Reclamation Equipment, Inc.
• Williams Tank Lines
209 remaining cases were settled individually for less than $10,000 per case, resulting in $449,838 in fines.