The Washington Department of Transportation is warning drivers to avoid Interstate 5 in Olympia the next two weekends due to ramp and lane closures causing major delays with miles of stop-and-go traffic.
Over the weekends of Sept. 12 and 19, crews will work to replace a 171-foot-long bridge expansion joint spanning the I-5 and U.S. 101 interchange. On a typical weekend, more than 276,000 vehicles pass through the section, WSDOT reports.
- WSDOT recommends rerouting through SR 12, SR 7, US 101 and US 12, or if you must drive through the area, consider traveling before 10 a.m. or after 8 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 11 crews will shut down the left northbound I-5 lane approaching Deschutes Way Southwest at 8 p.m. for preparations. At 10 p.m., workers will close down a second northbound I-5 lane and two ramps: the southbound US 101 exit to northbound I-5 and the Deschutes Way Southwest to northbound I-5.
US 101 motorists will be detoured onto southbound I-5 and through the Tumwater Boulevard interchange to reach northbound I-5.
Here are further weekend closure details from WSDOT’s website:
Sept. 12-15 closure details
- * Drivers can expect major lane and ramp closures along both directions of I-5 near Capitol Lake between 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 12, and 5 a.m. Monday, Sept. 15.
I-5 lane reductions
- * I-5 will be reduced to one lane in each direction between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. Friday, Sept. 12 through Sunday, Sept. 14.
- * During the daytime hours on Saturday and Sunday, I-5 will be open to only two lanes in each direction.
Ramp closures and reductions
- * The Deschutes Way Southwest on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 10 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 11, to 5 a.m., Monday, Sept.15.
- * The Henderson Avenue/14th Avenue Southeast on-ramp to southbound I-5 will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday, Sept.12, to 5 a.m., Monday, Sept.15.
- * US 101 on-ramp to northbound I-5 will be reduced to one lane from 10 p.m. Friday, Sept.12, to 5 a.m., Monday, Sept.15.