It’s the most dangerous time of the year…for cargo theft, says FreightWatch International.
According to a press release from FreightWatch International, the busiest cargo theft season is upon us.
Historically, the fourth quarter sees increase in cargo theft. In 2013, “theft activity concentrated in the fourth quarter with a cumulative 242 incidents” during the fourth quarter, FreightWatch reported.
FreightWatch International says that this year’s holiday season, the risk of freight theft is especially high, because both Christmas and New Year’s fall on a Thursday, “complicating business schedules on Friday, and likely leaving more opportunity for shipments to be left unattended or parked in unsecured locations.”
FreightWatch International recommends confirming holiday hours of operation to negate any shipping delays.
From FreightWatch International:
High value theft events that have occurred during the Christmas holiday season in the past few years:
- A full truckload of Shingles stolen in Houston, TX.
- A Facility Burglary of name-brand purses, shoes, and jewelry stolen from City of Industry, CA valued at $1.5 million.
- A Facility Burglary of cell phones in Doral, FL.
- A full truckload of shoes and clothing in Ontario, California valued at $1 million.
- A full truckload of Cosmetics taken from Secaucus, NJ.