Western Star Trucks this month unveiled the all-new 5700XE.
“XE – which stands for extreme efficiency – summarizes exactly what this new truck is all about,” said Michael Jackson, general manager, Western Star. “By blending legendary Western Star ruggedness together with aerodynamic innovations, and the most fuel efficient powertrain available, we have built a powerful solution that is the best of both worlds – and unlike anything else on the road today.”
Western Star says the all-new 5700XE is “ideal for owner-operators and small to medium fleets in truckload/LTL, bulk, refrigerated, long-haul and manufacturing.”
The truck features a 126″ BBC with a set-back axle and comes with a variety of sleeper options.
“The 5700XE builds on proven aerodynamic technologies from parent company Daimler Trucks North America and adds edgy styling to set it apart from other trucks,” said Ann Demitruk, director of marketing for Western Star.
The new 5700XE features an aerodynamic hood, roof, chassis and cab firings to reduce drag and increase efficiency.
Additional features include:
- A new sweptback four-piece bumper with an under-bumper valance that contributes to aerodynamic efficiency.
- New halogen headlights that are optimized for aerodynamic performance and excellent visibility.
- A state-of-the-art visor specifically engineered to work with the impressive slope in the hood’s rear air ramp to direct airflow over the cab without an aerodynamic penalty.
- Roof and cab fairings that sweep back for tighter trailer gap and help direct air flow over and around the trailer.
- Optional chassis side fairings that reduce drag by up to 6 percent while still providing easy access to batteries and DEF tank.
- The Western Star Twin Force dual air intake, which feeds a massive centrally mounted air filter to improve efficiency.
In addition, the truck comes standard with a Detroit DT12™ automated manual transmission.
Customers my choose to add the 600 horsepower Detroit DD16® engine, Detroit™ DD15® engine that features an asymmetric turbocharger and next-generation ACRS fuel system, or the Detroit DD13® engine.
“Now customers can have both the most fuel-efficient powertrain available and unique quality and styling. In fact, our Daimler Trucks North America internal testing indicates that the 5700XE is competitive with the fuel-efficiency results of the leading truck model on the market,” said Demitruk. “We want to provide the latest in proven technologies that will benefit customers’ bottom line, and Detroit delivers on all fronts.”
Detroit Virtual Technician™, a remote diagnostic service, is available on the all-new 5700XE.
“We considered every detail to create an incredibly comfortable, highly efficient truck that stands up to the extremely high expectations Western Star customers have,” said Demitruk. “The 5700XE will change the way people look at aerodynamic trucks, and the way they look at Western Star.”