Volvo has a knack for creating entertaining, creative commercials, and Volvo’s newest commercial ‘The Casino’ is no exception.
‘The Casino’ features a valet driver at a high-end Casino in the Italian Riviera. In the video, you see beautiful sports cars pull up, one after another. Then, Volvo’s newest truck, featuring a I-Shift Dual Clutch pulls up.
“When I realized that I was expected to park a truck, my heart just stopped. I thought: How can I park it there?” Ambrogio Adani, the valet in the video said.
The message is that Volvo’s newest truck “has a sports car ‘under the hood.'”
“In Volvo Trucks’ new online film The Casino, parking valet Ambrogio Adani is expected to park a truck outside a casino on the Italian Riviera. He looks surprised – but in actual fact the truck has a lot of similarities to the sports cars he usually parks. All thanks to the world-first transmission I-Shift Dual Clutch,” Volvo said in a press release.
Volvo says the new I-Shift Dual Clutch transmission has a lot in common with the sports cars featured in the video.
“I-Shift Dual Clutch can be described as two parallel-linked transmissions. When one gear is active, the next gear is pre-selected in the other transmission. During the gearchanging itself, the first clutch is disengaged at exactly the same instant that the second one is engaged, so gearchanges take place without any interruption in power delivery. The result is much smoother and easier driving,” says Astrid Drewsen, Product Manager Drivelines at Volvo Trucks.
Facts about I-Shift Dual Clutch:
– I-Shift Dual Clutch is based on the I-Shift transmission. Despite its many new components the new transmission is just 12 cm longer than a regular I-Shift unit.
– I-Shift Dual Clutch changes gear without any disruption to power delivery. When driving in conditions where it is more optimal for the transmission to skip a few gears, the transmission changes gear just like a regular I-Shift unit.
– I-Shift Dual Clutch can change gears without any interruption in power delivery, with the exception of the range-change, which takes place when shifting from 6th to 7th gear.
– Smooth, gentle gearchanges cut wear on the driveline and the rest of the vehicle.
– Fuel consumption with I-Shift Dual Clutch is the same as with regular I-Shift.
– I-Shift Dual Clutch will be available on the new Volvo FH as an alternative to I‑Shift and manual transmission.
Client: Volvo Trucks
Creative Agency: Forsman & Bodenfors
Director: Henry Alex Rubin
Art Director: Anders Eklind and Sophia Lindholm
Copywriter: Martin Ringqvist, Björn Engström
Post Production: Absolute Post, London
Executive Producers: Chris Barett and Fergus Brown
Music: “Tighten Up”, Al Escobar and His Orchestra Courtesy of Fania Records
D.O.P: Matthew Woolf
Editor: Spencer Ferszt, Marshall Street Editors
Watch other Volvo Commercials Here: