The need for qualified drivers in Wisconsin is growing and one school in Milwaukee is trying to help prospective drivers get the qualifications they need!
The Milwaukee Area Technical College is helping people walk right into full-time truck driving jobs.
MATC’s School of Technology and Applied Sciences has a new course offering a Technical Diploma in Truck Driving.
“For our two sessions, all the students found jobs as truck drivers,” said John Lopez, student services specialist and recruiter for MATC’s technology and applied science programs. “The only reason they wouldn’t find jobs is if they don’t end up pursuing the profession.”
The class time is almost entirely dedicated to operating a truck on a course or road. In addition to technical skills, the program addresses good employee ethics.
Students have been hired out of the class by a number of companies including: McLane Foodservice, Con-way, and Schneider National.
MATC truck driving instructor, Peter Jalen said that companies – such as the Yellow Roadway Corporation – usually only hire drivers who have at least two years of experience. However, those same companies have been hiring MATC students right out of their driving program!
It’s a 10-week program that costs $3,200. Books, a physical, and a drug test are included in the tuition fees. Students can apply for a $1,000 need-based scholarship, but only after they have completed the program.
Requirements to get into the course:
- High School diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years or older
- Valid driver’s license (Class D)
- Good driving record
- Department of Transportation medical exam and drug test
MATC’s Learning Objective:
- Drive a commercial vehicle safely
- Demonstrate knowledge of U.S. laws and regulations pertaining to the operation of a commercial vehicle
- Maintain and complete records properly
- Demonstrate the ability to plan trips and routes including managing cargo
- Inspect the vehicle to ensure safe operation
- Communicate effectively with peers, customers and supervisors
- Obtain a Commercial Driver’s License
Learn more, or apply for the program here.
Milwaukee Area Technical College
Neighborhood News Service Milwaukee