When you’re a trucker, the list of things that you have to do every day is endless. That’s why it can be tempting to skip cleaning your truck. But don’t make that mistake! There are a lot of reasons why making the effort to keep a clean truck is so worth it! Here are just a few of them!
1. You might be less likely to be hassled by DOT. Anecdotal evidence suggests that DOT officers have a negative perception of dirty trucks. Keep yours clean and you might be able to avoid the hassle of a full inspection.
2. Prevent expensive repairs. Dirt can hide a lot — including smaller mechanical issues that could become a major (and expensive) hassle down the line.
3. Fight rust and corrosion. Road salt is a major cause of rust, but dirt, insect debris, tree sap, acid rain and bird droppings can all cause corrosion. Frequent washings can help you fight rust and corrosion.
4. Display professionalism. One of the most important reasons to keep a clean truck? Because it shows that you take pride in your job and yourself. A clean truck gives a positive impression about the trucking industry wherever you go.
5. Better resale value. If you have to sell your truck, a rig that has been cleaned and well-maintained will retain more value than one that has been neglected.
6. A cluttered cab can be distracting — and dangerous. Not only can clutter be smelly and messy looking, studies also show that it decreases your driving performance.
7. Your truck is your home. You deserve a living area that’s clean, don’t you? Taking care of the mess in the cab of your truck is really about taking care of yourself!
8. A clean truck is a healthier truck. A dirty truck can be full of health hazards like mold, the Staphylococcus bacteria, and pollen. Keep your truck clean and keep yourself healthier.
Accident Research Center