A truck driver is in critical condition after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria.
Earlier in the month, owner-operator Douglas Draheim and his family went tubing on the Au Sable River. When Draheim got home, he realized he had a significant bug bite.
On Tuesday, July 21, Draheim passed out at a Texas truck stop. When he regained consciousness, he was in a Dallas-area hospital. Doctors informed Draheim he had necrotizing fascists– or flesh-eating bacteria, ABC 12 reports.
Doctors believe Draheim contracted the bacteria via the bug bite.
On Saturday, July 25, Draheim’s infection worsened and in order to save his life, doctors were forced to amputate his leg.
Draheim’s kidneys aren’t functioning properly. He remains in critical condition.
Draheim’s family would like to have him transported to a hospital closer to home. Angel Flight has agreed to provide the flight, however, it will cost more than $16,000. The Draheim’s don’t have medical insurance. The family is hoping to raise funds to bring him home.
An account has been set up to receive donations at the ELGA Credit Union.
To prevent flesh-eating bacteria, the CDC recommends:
- Keep draining or open wounds covered with clean, dry bandages until healed.
- Don’t delay first aid of even minor, non-infected wounds like blisters, scrapes or any break in the skin.
- If you have an open wound or active infection, avoid using whirlpools, hot tubs and swimming pools until infections are healed.
- Wash hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub if washing is not possible.