It’s every truck driver’s nightmare — having to turn in the keys to your truck because your blood pressure is too high for you to be re-certified.
While many cases of high blood pressure require a doctor’s care and medication, there are foods that you can eat that will help to lower high blood pressure naturally — which might just be the thing that keeps you behind the wheel.
- Low fat milk. The calcium and vitamin D in milk work together to lower blood pressure. Just be sure to skip the whole milk and choose skim or 1%.
- Berries. While they might be a challenge to find out on the road, the health benefits are worth it. Blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries all contain anthocyanin, which help to fight high blood pressure.
- Potatoes. Contrary to popular belief, potatoes can be a healthy food if prepared correctly. Potatoes are a good source of potassium and magnesium — minerals that can help keep blood pressure low. Just remember to skip the salt since high sodium intake is linked to high blood pressure.
- Sunflower seeds. This easy to find truck stop treat also contains good amounts of healthy magnesium. Look for unsalted varieties.
- Beans. Your co-driver might not be thrilled with your choice, but your blood pressure will thank you. All types of beans are full of high blood pressure fighting fiber, magnesium, and potassium.
- Bananas. These fruits are easy to find a truck stops, easy to eat on the go, and full of potassium, making them an ideal choice for truckers who want to reduce their blood pressure.
- Lean pork. Surprised? While bacon isn’t a good option for reducing blood pressure, lean cuts like pork loin are a good way to get more magnesium and potassium in your diet.