As Memorial Day weekend approaches, CargoNet warns truckers to be on the alert for cargo theft.
According to the report from CargoNet, cargo theft has spiked during Memorial Day weekend for the past four years.
Memorial Day Cargo Theft Facts
Here are some helpful facts from the report to keep you — and your cargo — safe this weekend.
- The top type of stolen cargo is food and beverages.
- The risk for cargo theft reaches its peak on Saturday.
- The average value of a stolen cargo load is $201,144.
- Florida is the state with the most Memorial Day cargo theft, followed by California, Texas, Georgia, and New Jersey.
- Over half of all cargo thefts take place at a truck stop, carrier lot, or warehouse.
- Fuel advance, hostage load, and line haul scams also increase before the Memorial Day weekend holiday.
- To prevent cargo theft, CargoNet recommends that truck drivers arrive for pickup well-rested, fed, and with a full tank of fuel to minimize stop offs where theft could occur.