A UPS Freight truck driver has been credited with saving a mother and her two sons from a potentially deadly house fire.
UPS Freight Truck Driver Notices Late Night House Fire
Driver Sheldon Bonnell was making his daily trip between Idaho Falls and Jackson Hole, Wyoming on May 20 around 2 a.m. when he noticed what he thought was a brush fire about two and a half miles away. When he got closer, Bonnell realized that it was a structure fire.
Bonnell pulled over, then ran to the fence, yelling to try to wake the homeowners. The woman inside the home, Michelle Evans, was awakened by her dogs barking at Bonnell. She looked out the window and saw Bonnell trying to push her gate open. When she opened the window to ask what he was doing, he yelled back that her garage was on fire and she had to get out of her home.
Driver Made Sure Family And Pets Were Safe
Evans got her two young sons out of the home while Bonnell made sure that the dogs got out safely and even carried the family’s pet lamb to safety himself.
Firefighters arrived 13 minutes after Bonnell. They were able to put out the fire before it spread to the home, but the garage was a total loss.
Investigators believe that the fire was started when a heat lamp for chickens fell over.
Said Bonnell: “The next car went by the house nine minutes later, so me being there at that particular moment was kind of lucky. I’m so happy the Evans were able to get out safe and only lose their garage, if that’s what had to be lost.”
Bonnell has worked for UPS Freight for 16 years.
[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=eesg7QooKxI” width=”700″ height=”500″ responsive=”no”]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ade3Uz-PHjU[/su_youtube]
East Idaho News