Yesterday OOIDA announced the formation of a coalition united to support the delay of impending federal regulations that would require truck drivers to use an electronic logging device.
Coalition Asks Trump To Support ELD Mandate Delay
According to OOIDA, the goal of the coalition is to ask the Trump administration to take a closer look the ELD mandate and to push back the December 18, 2017, compliance date by two years.
The coalition argues that the two year delay would allow for more time and research to be devoted to fixing problems with the regulation.
The ELD mandate is estimated to cost impacted stakeholders more than $2 billion, making it one of the most expensive federal transportation rulemakings over the last decade. This is a massive unfunded mandate that provides no safety, economic, or productivity benefits for most ensnared by the mandate. Notwithstanding the significant costs associated with the rule, it simply will not be ready for implementation on December 18, 2017.
The members of the coalition include organizations that represent numerous industries and groups of people, including the livestock industry, the pyrotechnics industry, and even the Sikhs Political Action Committee.
Support Grows For Bill That Would Delay ELD Mandate By Two Years
The coalition supports a bill brought forth by Texas lawmaker Brian Babin called the ELD Extension Act of 2017. It is also known as H.R.3282. The list of cosponsors for the bill has quietly and steadily grown. The two lawmakers who joined the list of the bill’s supporters just this week brings the total number of cosponsors up to 51. You can click here for a complete list of cosponsors.
Here is a list of the organizations that have joined the ELD Mandate delay coalition:
- Agricultural Retailers Association
- American Pipeline Contractors Association
- American Pyrotechnics Association
- Associated Equipment Distributors
- Distribution Contractors Association
- Livestock Exporters Association of the USA
- Lucas Oil Products
- Mid-West Truckers Association
- National Association of Chemical Distributors
- National Association of Small Trucking Companies
- National Aquaculture Association
- National Corn Growers Association
- National Cotton Council
- National Electrical Contractors Association
- National Federation of Independent Business
- National Grain and Feed Association
- National Ground Water Association
- National Hay Association
- National Motorists Association
- National Precast Concrete Association
- National Ready Mixed Concrete Association
- National Stone, Sand & Gravel Association
- New England Fuel Institute
- North American Wood Pole Council
- Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association
- Petroleum Marketers Association of America
- Power & Communication Contractors Association
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute
- Southern Pressure Treaters’ Association
- United States Cattlemen’s Association
Sign up for the CDLLife Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list and get today's top trucking news delivered to your inbox.