Starting today, officers from the Florida Highway Patrol’s commercial vehicle enforcement division will be on the lookout for aggressive driving behavior from both motorists and professional drivers.
The enforcement campaign Ticketing Aggressive Cars and Trucks (TACT) will run from today through March 9.
FHP will be specifically targeting drivers who speed, tailgate, and change lanes in an unsafe manner.
As part of the TACT campaign, FHP is also offering these tips to educate motorists on how to drive safely around semi trucks:
- Stay out of the No Zone: Be aware that large trucks have large blind spots (also known as “No Zones”).
- Pass trucks with caution: Pass on the left side for maximum visibility and maintain a constant speed.
- Do not cut trucks off: Be sure to leave plenty of room when you pull in front of a truck. Large trucks simply cannot stop as quickly as cars.
- Practice patience around larger vehicles that are not traveling at the same speed as your vehicle.
- Don’t drive distracted: Anything that takes your full attention off of the road, even for a second, could be deadly. This includes texting, changing the radio station, talking to passengers, and much more.
Visit the The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to learn more.
News 4 Jax