Sign up for the CDLLife Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list and get today's top trucking news delivered to your inbox.
Expect traffic headaches in downtown Houston this weekend as transportation officials are shutting down a section of I-10 for bridge repair.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, the closures will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will last until 5 a.m. on Monday. The eastbound lanes of I-10 will be closed at the North Shepherd/Durham exit.
TxDOT has stated that “Large trucks traveling I-10 eastbound will not be permitted to detour through adjacent neighborhoods.”
TxDOT blames the need for the bridge repair on overheight trucks which struck the Houston Avenue Bridge twice in 2016.
Transportation officials say that they are working to make the necessary repairs before the Super Bowl, which will attract tens of thousands of visitors to the downtown Houston area.
TxDOT’s other road closures and exit closures associated with the bridge repair are as follows:
- Total closure of I-10 eastbound entrance ramps from Silber, Washington Avenue/Westcott, T.C. Jester, North Shepherd/Durham, Heights/Yale, Studemont and Taylor. Also, the I-10 eastbound exit ramps to Yale/Heights, Studemont, and Taylor will be closed.
- Total closure of the I-10 east- and westbound entrance ramp from Woodway at the I-610 northbound frontage road.
- Total closure of the I-610 West Loop north- and southbound connector ramps to I-10 eastbound, and the US 290 connector ramp to I-10 eastbound. Motorists traveling northbound on I-610 will be detoured to I-610 northbound to I-45 southbound to I-10. Motorists traveling southbound on I-610 will be detoured to I-10 westbound, exit at Chimney Rock/Wirt, U-turn to I-10 eastbound, enter freeway and exit to I-610 northbound to I-45 southbound to I-10. Motorists traveling US 290 eastbound will be detoured to I-610 northbound to I-45 southbound to I-10.
- Total closure of Houston Avenue northbound over I-10. (This closure will be in effect at 8 p.m., Friday, Jan. 6, through 7 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 14.) Motorists will be detoured right on Crockett/Hogan, then left on North Main, left on Quitman/White Oak to Houston Avenue.
- Total closure of Houston Avenue southbound over I-10. (This closure will begin at 8 p.m., Friday, Jan. 6.) Motorists will be detoured left on White Oak/Quitman, right on Fulton, right on Hogan/Crockett, to Houston Avenue.
Get more information by visiting TxDOT.gov.