Goodyear is on the lookout for professional truck drivers who have demonstrated highway heroics.
From now through November 29, 2018, Goodyear is accepting nominations for their annual “Highway Hero” award. The purpose of the award is to honor drivers who put themselves at risk in order to help another.
If you would like to nominate someone for the award, you can click here to get started.
Goodyear’s Gary Medalis says, “As we join the trucking industry in celebrating National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, we recognize truck drivers and the role they play in keeping our economy and way of life rolling. But these professionals deliver more than just goods and services. They are often first responders to on-highway incidents, even before emergency crews arrive on the scene – taking decisive action to save lives.”
Applicants for the Highway Hero award must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a full-time truck drive
- Must reside in the U.S. or Canada
- The heroic incident must have happened in the U.S. or Canada
- Nominee’s truck must have had 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident
- Nominee must have been on the job – or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck – at the time of the incident
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2017, and Nov. 16, 2018
One past Highway Hero award winner rescued a police officer who was being strangled by a prisoner. Another drove into a pond to rescue a drowning child.
The Highway Hero award was established in 1983.
You can see the 2018 Highway Hero award announcement at MATS below.