Though not as popular as they once were, C.B. radios are still seen as the trademark tool of the American trucker. Whether you’re looking for information on traffic up ahead or are simply wondering whether any of the drivers around you have got their “panties on,” C.B. radios can still provide helpful information as well as entertainment.
Choosing a product used to be as simple as walking into an electronics store and speaking with an employee but now, with the extensive online shopping industry taking over, there are so many options to choose from that finding the best C.B. Radio options can be difficult.
With this in mind, CDLLife has done the research for you and created a list of the five best C.B. radios for truckers just in time for the holidays!
1. Uniden PRO520XL Pro Series 40-Channel CB Radio
- Front Mount Microphone
- 4w Audio Output
- 40-channel mobile CB radio with superheterodyne circuit/phase locked loop for precise control
- Built-in automatic noise limiter and auto-squelch to eliminate noise and improve communication
- Signal/RF meter and LED indicators to monitor activity; instant channel 9 access for emergency situations
- Connect external speakers and use PA/CB switch for use as a Public Address system
- 4.5 x 6.75 x 1.38 in
- Just over two and a half pounds
Pros: RF Gain Control reduces noise in the reciever without reducing reception power
No sounds when switching between channels or pushing buttons
Great quality overall
Cons: ‘Old School’ LED display can be hard to see in the daylight
What Truckers have to say: “This thing works so well it’s better than my bigger CB in my big truck. I’m thinking of picking up another one of these to put in my pickup truck.
2. Cobra C75WXST Handheld CB Radio
- Sound Tracker System- Cuts noise up to 90 percent for clearer communication
- Stay informed – Dual watch and all channel scan monitors incoming signals and 4 programmable channels give you instant alerts to changing weather, traffic and emergency channels
- LCD Display – This complete radio is handheld with an illuminated and easy to read LCD display for day and night use
- 9/19 Acess – Immediate access to emergency channels 9 and 19
- 40 CB channels
- 10 NOAA Weather Channels
- 4.2 x 2.8 x 1.8 inches
- Right at two pounds
Pros: Easy to install. Doesn’t take up much space.
Cons: Speaker can be difficult to hear while driving. Handheld component is large and heavy.
What truckers say:“The CB radio looks good and is extremely good looking. Its volume output on the built in speaker is loud enough for me to hear over my diesel engine.”
List Price: $129.95
$104.58 (19% off)
3. Uniden BEARCAT 980SSB 40- Channel SSB CB Radio
- Single Side Band USB/LSB
- Noise Cancelling Microphone
- Radio Diagnostics
- Wireless Mic Compatible – Compatible with the BC906W Wireless CB Speaker/Mic
- 3.5 x 15 x 8.5 inches
- Seven and a half pounds
Good sound quality
Cons: Difficult to read display in the daylight
What truckers say: “Mine is mounted in a semi w/sleeper and damn near dark all day and still barely visible. Small potatoes to how good the radio really is though… this radio gets out and and hears great.”
4. Cobra 29LX Professional CB Radio
- NOAA Weather Channels – Be the first to know of incoming hazards or changing weather with instant access to NOAA weather channels 24 hours a day.
- Weather and Alert Scan – Automatically tune into the strongest channel to hear all weather alerts, so you won’t miss important information while scanning through the channels.
- Clock and Alarm – Display the current time on screen and have the ability to set an alarm for anytime during the day so you’re never late again.
- Radio Check and Frequency Display – Automatically run diagnostics for Voltage and RF output, with Antenna Matching to ensure that the signal is as strong as possible and working properly also displays operating CB and Weather frequencies on screen.
- 7.2 x 9.2 x 2.2 inches
- Just over five and a half pounds
Color changing display to mix things up or match interior
Weather Alert System lets you know when bad weather is in the area, even if system is turned off
Slight malfunction may cause antenna light to come on when standing wave ratio drops below 3, but detailed instructions on how to fix have been released in a technical service bulletin
What truckers say: “Talks awesome right out of the box. On my first radio check I was asked if it was turned up because of my TX signal. Great features and looks.”
5. Galaxy-DX-959 40 Channel
- Large, easy-to-read meter
- Five-digit frequency counter with large yellow digits
- Automatic SWR circuit and an SWR alert LED, Roger Beep with on/off switch
- Variable dimmer control with push switch to turn off the meter lamp and display digits, 3-position tone switch for receive
- Proprietary Galaxy Noise Filter (GNF) Circuit reduces noise to aid in the recovery of weak SSB signals
- 9.2 x 7.9 x 2.4 inches
- Just under four and a half pounds
Pros:Clear sound. Built in SWR meter makes it easy to tune your antenna
Cons:some reports of weaker RX
What truckers say: “The radio is perfect for anyone who doesn’t care for menus and having to look down to operate it while driving. Love the built-in SWR meter as it makes it easy to tune the antenna and monitor its tuning as time goes on.”