Daimler Trucks North America recently issued a recall for tens of thousands of trucks for a lighting defect.
Daimler recently notified the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) of a recall impacting 63,175 Freightliner and Western Star trucks.
According to NHTSA documents, “The rear reflective tape may be partially covered by the mudflap hanger bracket, which may reduce the vehicle’s visibility to other drivers on the road. As such, these vehicles fail to complywith the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, “Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment.”
The exterior lighting issue could increase the chances of a crash, the documents say.
Truck models affected by the recall include:
- 2006-2020 Freightliner Columbia
- 2006-2021 Freightliner BusinessClass M2
- 2007-2020 Freightliner Coronado
- 2014-2021 Freightliner 122 SD
- 2007 Sterling A 9500
- 2006 Freightliner Argosy
- 2006-2007 Sterling AT9500
- 2008-2021 Freightliner Cascadia
- 2006-2008 Freightliner Classic
- 2006-2011 Freightliner Century Class
- 2006-2010 Freightliner FLD
- 2017 Western Star 5700
The recall is expected to begin June 12, 2020. Dealers will provide a fix for the exterior lighting issue free of charge.
Truck owners with questions can call customer service at
1-800-547-0712 and reference recall number FL848.