It’s a trucker’s worst nightmare — losing your brakes and being forced to use a runaway truck ramp.
In this series of video clips, steep grades and overheated brakes turn a trucker’s normal driving day into a life-or-death crisis.
Top 6 Runaway Truck Ramp Videos
6. This video was captured in April 2019 on I-70 near Silverthorne, Colorado. In the video, you can see that the truck goes almost all the way up the ramp before coming to a stop.
5. This one happened on northbound I-5 (the Grapevine) in California. Caltrans shared the video in 2016 to remind the public why we need runaway ramps.
4. This one happened on westbound U.S. 160 through Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado in the summer of 2017. The truck driver, who was hauling a load of beer, managed to hit the last runway ramp on the Pass.
3. This video was captured on Grapevine in January 2020.
2. This one happened on a Mexican highway in 2017. The out-of-control truck had a police escort until it hit a gravel arrestor bed. The crash at the end is pretty dramatic, but the driver was ok.
- This one happened on I-64 in West Virginia in 2015.
BONUS — For more on how runaway truck ramps work, check out the informative video below.