Commercial vehicle drivers in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, should be aware of a number of travel restrictions put in place for the Democratic National Convention (DNC).
According to a news release from the Secret Service, the CMV travel restrictions will be enforced in the area surrounding the Wisconsin Center, beginning at Sunday, August 16, until midday on Friday, August 21 from 4 p.m. to 12 a.m.
Per the news release, CMVs are restricted from traveling on streets and roadways “adjacent” to the roads listed below, which are totally shut down for DNC security:
- W. Wells St., between N. 6th St. & Vel R. Phillips Ave (N. 4th St.)
- W. Wisconsin Ave., between N. 6th St. & Vel R. Phillips Ave (N. 4th St.)
- N. 6th St., between W. Michigan St. & W. Kilbourn St.
- N. 5th St., between W. Michigan St. & W. Kilbourn St.
- N. 4th St., between W. Michigan St. & W. Kilbourn St.
- W. Michigan St., between Vel R. Phillips Ave (N. 4th St.) & N. 5th St.
The Secret Service also warns drivers to plan for the Kilbourn Tunnel to be closed from Friday, August 14 through Friday, August 21.
Types of vehicles impacted by the CMV restrictions are listed below:
- Delivery trucks
- Utility vehicles
- Parcel trucks
- Small dump trucks
- Flatbed and stake trucks
- Refrigerated and box trucks
- Large delivery trucks
- Refuse trucks
- Cement mixers
- All tractor and trailer combinations including double trailers
- Motor homes
- Recreational trailers operated for personal use
The commercial vehicle restrictions will be enforced by the Milwaukee Police Department, the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office, and the Wisconsin State Patrol.
The Secret Service says that all interstates will remain open to CMV and passenger vehicle traffic: “All interstate highways and expressways in the Milwaukee region, to include I-94, I-43 and I-794, will remain open to passenger and commercial vehicles throughout the DNC.”
Please click here to access secretservice.gov for additional information.