A large-scale wildfire forced multiple truck drivers to abandon their vehicles on an Oregon interstate.
On Tuesday, the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) closed down I-5 about a mile north of the California/Oregon border for the Glendower Fire as it burned near Ashland. Drivers who were traveling north on I-5 were temporarily turned back into California due to the fire and interstate closure.
As the fire caused massive amounts of smoke to blanket the area, many truck drivers reportedly left their vehicles parked on I-5 and fled.
Later on Tuesday, ODOT called for those who abandoned their vehicles on I-5 to contact authorities:
ODOT/OSP needs the drivers/operators of abandoned semi trucks/vehicles left on I-5 travel lanes to call dispatch to let them know your contact information for reopening the interstate.
Operators should call the numbers below to give contact information for dispatch to call back when the re-opening is close. Otherwise tows will be called, which will aggravate the closure.
ODOT Dispatch: 541-858-3103
OSP Dispatch: 541-664-4600
As of Wednesday morning, both directions of I-5 have reopened.
See a list of road closures related to wild fires in the state of Oregon below.
- Santiam Highway (OR 20) between Sweet Home and Santiam Junction
- McKenzie Highway (OR 126) 4 miles west of McKenzie Bridge MP 47
- McKenzie Highway (OR 126) intersection with Santiam Highway (OR 20) MP 0-13
- Highway 22 intersection with Santiam Highway (OR 20) MP 82-13
- Oregon 99, 2 miles north of Phoenix MP 9-17
- Oregon 211 between Hayden Road and Highway 213
- Oregon 213 intersection with Woodburn – Estacada Highway MP 16
- Oregon 138, 2 miles west of Glide MP 16-47
- Oregon 97 north of Klamath Falls
- Oregon 224 east of Estacada MP 27-50
- Oregon 18 between MP 1-5
- Oregon 138 intersection with West Diamond Lake Highway MP 83
- Oregon 242, 6 miles west of Sisters MP 85-55
- Oregon 213, 4 miles north of Mulino MP 7-8
- Oregon 62, 5 miles west of intersection with The Dalles-California Highway MP 99
- Oregon 126, 9 miles east of Vida MP 35
- U.S. 20, 8 miles east of Tombstone SnoPark MP 71-26
- U.S. 97, 15 miles south of intersection with East Diamond Lake Highway MP 228-249
Please click here to access Oregon TripCheck for the most up to date travel information.