A current bill to increase insurance requirements will put a strain on already struggling carriers and will likely force a lot of small carriers and owner operators out of business.
The legislation is dubbed the Investing in a New Vision for the Environment and Surface Transportation in America (INVEST in America) Act and is a proposed infrastructure bill that would invest $500 billion into the nation’s highways and transportation systems over the next five years.
If the INVEST in America bill passes with the Garcia Amendment 62, minimum insurance for commercial motor vehicles would increase to $2 million — up from $750,000.
The amendment was introduced by Representatives Chuy Garcia, a Democrat from Illinois, and Matthew Cartwright, a Democrat from Pennsylvania.
OOIDA is calling on its members to to contact their lawmakers to let them know the devastating impact the bill would have on owner operators and small carriers.
On Wednesday, June 24, OOIDA sent a letter to its members asking them to contact the following representatives:
- Rep. Colin Allred (Texas-32) (972) 972-7949 or the Washington office at (202) 225-2231.
- Rep. Sharice Davids (Kansas-3.) 913-766-3993 or (913) 621-0832
- Rep. Abby Finkenauer (Iowa-1) (202) 225-2911 or (319) 364-2288 or (563) 557-7789
- Rep. Lizzie Fletcher (Texas-7) (202) 225-2571 or (713) 353-8680
- Rep. Conor Lamb (Pennsylvania-17) (202) 225-2301 or (724) 206-4860 or (412) 344-5583
- Rep. Tom Malinowski (New Jersey-7) (202) 225-5361 or (908) 547-3307
- Rep. Chris Pappas (New Hampshire-1) (202) 225-5456 or (603) 285-4300
- Rep. Greg Stanton (Arizona-9) (202) 225-9888 or (602) 956-2463