A company that monitors cargo theft has issued a warning to truckers after a significant increase in “large scale” crime targeting truckers in Memphis, Tennessee.
SensiGuard recently issued a warning to truckers following an uptick in pilferage cargo thefts in southeastern Memphis. The company says that cargo thieves have been targeting a variety of types of goods in the overnight hours while truckers wait to enter a facility.
“These pilferages have been relatively large scale, typically involving multiple pallets of merchandise rather than a few cases or boxes,” SensiGuard warned.
SensiGuard offered tips for truckers who are delivering in Memphis:
- Minimize overnight waits as much as possible
- Try to park inside the facility lot instead of the street, if possible
- Use high-security seals or hardened padlocks that require more than bolt cutters to remove
- Place a heavy-gauge wire seal at the top of the trailer that is inaccessible from the street level
- Report to law enforcement any suspicious vehicles or individuals seen outside of distribution centers
- Be alert for vehicles following you, and report any such activity