Nearly 18,000 Daimler trucks have been recalled for a steering issue.
Daimler Trucks North America issued a recall notice for certain models of Freightliner, Western Star, and Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation (FCCC) trucks, model years 2021 — 2022.
According to recall documents, the steering arm and tie rod bolts on the recalled trucks may have a defective seam that can fracture, which in turn could cause a loss of steering and result in a crash.
The total number of vehicles affected by the recall is 17,822.
The recall affects the following makes/models:
- FCCC/XC CHASSIS/2021-2022
- FREIGHTLINER/BUSINESS CLASS M2/2021-2022
- FREIGHTLINER/CUSTOM CHASS S2/2021
- FREIGHTLINER/CUSTOM CHASS XB/2021
- WESTERN STAR/4700/2021-2022
- WESTERN STAR/4900/2021-2022
- WESTERN STAR/5700/2021-2022
Daimler will notify truck owners and dealers will repair the defect free of charge.
The recall is expected to begin June 10, 2021.
If you have questions about the recall, truck owners may contact Daimler customer service at 1-800-547-0712 and reference recall number FL-884.