The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) is reminding drivers about a lengthy road closure in downtown Indianapolis that begins this weekend.
According to INDOT, the North Split Interchange Indianapolis will close for 18 months for a bridge and roadway reconstruction project. During this closure, I-65 and I-70 between the North Split and Washington Street will be closed to all traffic.
The closure is expected to begin May 15 on I-65/I-70 in the southbound lanes. The full closure of I-65/I-70 is set to begin May 16, weather permitting.
INDOT provided driver information on the impact that the closure and construction will have on the interstates:
- Will remain open at the Keystone interchange
- Will remain open to I-65 northbound
- Will remain open to either the Michigan or Ohio Street exits via collector/distributor
- Will be accessible from Washington Street entrance ramp
- Will be closed to I-70 westbound through traffic and to I-65 southbound
- Will be accessible from Pine Street entrance ramp. (There will be detours as the Michigan Street, New York Street and Vermont Street bridges are reconstructed, but the Pine Street entrance ramp onto I-70 eastbound will remain open.)
- From the airport, all exits remain open for eastbound traffic up to Washington Street
- The West, Illinois and Meridian Street interchanges (south side) can access I-65 southbound and I-65 northbound to Washington Street
- Will be closed to I-70 eastbound through traffic and to I-65 northbound
- Will be accessible from the North Illinois Street onramp
- Will remain open through the South Split up to the Washington Street exit
- Will be closed to I-65 northbound through traffic and to I-70 westbound
- Will remain open to I-70 eastbound (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the West Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound only (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the Delaware Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound only (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the Washington Street entrance ramp
Additionally, beginning on or after May 17, Vermont Street between Davidson and Pine streets will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic while the bridges over Vermont Street are demolished as part of the North Split project. The Vermont St. work is estimated to be completed on or after May 31. During this local closure, eastbound traffic will be detoured to New York Street and westbound traffic will be detoured to Michigan Street.
Sign up for the CDLLife Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list and get today's top trucking news delivered to your inbox.