As the northeast braces for severe winter weather, transportation officials are already issuing travel restrictions.
Based on a forecast that predicts freezing rain and sleet that could make travel treacherous, the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) have issued commercial vehicle travel restrictions on several major roadways.
New Jersey Travel Restrictions
Starting at 8 a.m. on Monday, February 15, commercial vehicles are restricted from the following roadways:
- I-78, from the Pennsylvania border to I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike)
- I-80, from the Pennsylvania border to I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike)
- I-280, from I-80 to I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike)
- I-287, from NJ Route 440 to the New York State border
- NJ Route 440, from the Outerbridge Crossing to I-287
The travel restriction applies to the following vehicles:
- All tractor trailers (exceptions as listed in the Administrative Order)
- Empty straight CDL-weighted trucks
- Passenger vehicles pulling trailers
- Recreational vehicles
The travel restriction does not apply to:
- The New Jersey Turnpike
- The Garden State Parkway
- The Atlantic City Expressway
NJDOT is asking truck drivers who are already in New Jersey when the travel restrictions go into place to pull off in truck stops to wait out the storm and not to park on the shoulders.
Follow www.511nj.org for the most up to date travel information from NJDOT.
Pennsylvania Travel Restrictions
Effective at 6 p.m. on Monday, February 15, PennDOT has placed Tier 1 travel restrictions in place on the following roadways:
• Interstate 70 from the West Virginia border to the PA Turnpike
• Interstate 76 (PA Turnpike mainline) in both directions from the Breezewood interchange (Exit 161) to the Ohio border
• The entire length of Interstate 79
• Interstate 80 from Interstate 99 to the Ohio border
• The entire length of Interstate 86
• The entire length of Interstate 90
• The entire length of Interstate 279
• The entire length of Interstate 376
• The entire length of Interstate 579
Vehicles included in the Tier 1 restrictions are as follows:
• Tractors without trailers
• Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers
• Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers
• Enclosed cargo delivery trucks that meet the definition of a CMV
• Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV’s, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers
• Recreational vehicles/motorhomes
• School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches not carrying chains or Alternate Traction Devices (ATD’s)
Follow www.511PA.com for the most up to date travel information from PennDOT.