The Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) will close eastbound I-40 in north Little Rock for construction this weekend.
Starting at 10 p.m. on Friday, August 19, and lasting until 5 a.m. on Monday, August 22, I-40 eastbound will be closed due to ramp construction work at the I-30/I-40 interchange.
During the road closure, crews will work on a new ramp in the north terminal for traffic traveling from I-30 eastbound to I-40 eastbound.
According to ARDOT, I-40 eastbound traffic will detour to I-430 south at the I-40/430 interchange (Exit 147). Traffic will proceed south to the I-430/30 interchange and take I-30 east (Exit 129A). Traffic will continue on I-30 east to I-440 east (Exit 138A). Traffic will then return to I-40 at the I-440/40 interchange (Exit 11).
ARDOT offered the following details to help drivers navigate the interstate closure:
1. I-40 West traffic will NOT be impacted. I-30 East traffic merging onto I-40 East will NOT be impacted.
2. This closure only affects traffic traveling along I-40 East before the I-40/I-30 Interchange.
3. All exits along I-40 East prior to the Interchange will be open. You may exit at any time before you reach the Interchange and take a local route around it.
4. If you do not exit I-40 East before you reach the Interchange, you will be forced onto I-30 West. If you turn around on I-30 West and get back on I-30 East, you can merge onto I-40 East and continue traveling beyond the interchange.
5. The longer detour pictured in the map is primarily for truck/commercial vehicle traffic, although citizens can of course take this suggested route as well.