A load of hay caught fire after a motorist tossed a lit cigarette from a passing car on Wednesday afternoon. 

The incident happened on August 3rd in Crawford County, Kansas on Highway 160 near 260th Avenue. 

According to KOAM News, the fire department was dispatched to the area after receiving calls of a trailer hauling hay on fire. The driver was able to unhook his truck from the trailer before the fire spread to the truck. 

It was reported that a passing car threw out a lit cigarette, catching the hay on fire. 

“We are still under a burn ban,” CCFD No.2 said in a statement. “Yes you can start a fire when you throw your cigarette out.”

Due to the large number of bales, the fire was allowed to burn out as crews monitored the situation. The trailer was damaged and was towed from the scene. No further information has been released.

Subscribe for top trucking news updates