Starting this evening, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) will restrict certain vehicles from traveling on I-78 in east central Pennsylvania.
The travel restrictions will begin at 8 p.m. on Thursday, January 6 on I-78 in Berks, Lehigh, and Northampton counties.
PennDOT is issuing the travel restrictions due to an impending winter storm.
The following vehicle types will not be allowed on the interstate until further notice:
• Tractors without trailers;
• Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers;
• Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers;
• Enclosed cargo delivery trucks that meet the definition of a CMV;
• Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV’s, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers;
• Recreational vehicles/motorhomes;
• School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches; and
Additionally, the speed limit will be reduced to 45 m.p.h. on the affected portion of I-78. All commercial vehicles not affected by the travel restrictions are required to stay in the right lane while speed limit reductions are in place.
PennDOT says that the travel restrictions are designed to help ensure the interstates remain open during the most challenging conditions of the winter storm.
You can visit www.511PA.com for the most up to date travel information from PennDOT.