24.3 C
New York

NYC congestion pricing halted indefinitely

Published:

The plan for NYC congestion pricing has been halted until further notice according to a statement from the Governor of New York on Wednesday. 

The plan would have charged commercial vehicles and passenger vehicles a fee for entering certain areas of Manhattan and was set to start on June 30th. No new start date has been announced, and the plan has been put on “pause” for the foreseeable future. 

Governor Hochul pinned the pause on concerns over the new toll’s effect on the city’s post-pandemic recovery and “unintended consequences” the fees would put on New Yorkers. The congestion pricing was initially expected to bring in $15 billion for the Metropolitan Transit Authority, which would have used the funds to upgrade New York City’s aging transit system, reported NBC New York.

The MTA is now expected to release a list of projects that will be impacted by the now seemingly imminent lack of funding. Despite the impact on needed projects, Hochul says that the congestion pricing “would hurt everyday people too much,” and would also hurt New York Real business estate, as commuters may choose to work from home rather than pay the tolls, leaving office buildings empty. 

“Circumstances have changed, and we must respond to the facts on the ground, not to the rhetoric from five years ago,” Hochul said.

We have to get it right. We have to make sure it’s not an undue burden on everyday New Yorkers and we have to make sure it’s not going to impact our recovery,” said New York Mayor Eric Adams. “If she’s looking at analyzing other ways we can do it, I’m all for it.”

The MTA is now expected to increase fares for public transportation sooner than previously thought.

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

Get the hottest daily trucking news

This Week in Trucking

Videos