18.1 C
New York

FMCSA: Out-Of-State CLP Applications Are Acceptable


The FMCSA has issued new guidance that says that states can choose to accept commercial learner’s permit (CLP) applications and to administer the general knowledge test to applicants from out of state.

States Can Decide To Administer CDL Knowledge Test

The notice regarding the FMCSA’s guidance on out of state CLP applications was published in the Federal Register on August 3.

The FMCSA says that it is permissible for an applicant to take the general knowledge test outside of his home state so long as the state that administers the test sends the results through direct and secure electronic means to the driver’s home state. The driver’s home state must also agree to accept the test results and to issue the CLP.

A CDL or CLP must still be issued by the applicant’s home state.

This guidance expands last year’s ruling that allowed military personnel to submit  CLP applications and to administer written or skills tests in states other than their home state.

You can take a look at the full text of the FMCSA’s new guidance below.

[su_document url=”https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-08-03/pdf/2017-16338.pdf” width=”700″]Trucker’s Letter To Paul Ryan In Washington[/su_document]


Get the hottest daily trucking news

This Week in Trucking