Content Sponsored by Swift Transportation
The U.S. government’s Veteran’s Affairs (VA) on the job training programs are a valuable resource for members of the military community as they transition into trucking careers — and Swift Transportation is going above and beyond to make sure that veterans can take full advantage!
Swift’s VA apprenticeship program is one of the best ways for veterans who do not have experience in trucking to earn extra income on top of a regular paycheck while also learning a trade, providing an essential service, and becoming part of an industry that is always hiring.
The program is conducted in partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs, and veterans with active GI Bill benefits are qualified to apply for the program to earn their Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
8 things you should know about Swift’s VA apprenticeship
- You can translate your military skills to the trucking industry through robust training programs designed just for veterans. Swift recognizes that military members come to the apprenticeship program with a unique set of skills and they work hard to provide training and support to help drivers maximize those skills.
- Swift’s VA apprenticeship program is ideal for beginners — it is specifically designed to benefit military members who are newcomers to the trucking industry.
- You can earn hundreds of dollars in additional income on top of your Swift paycheck for 12 months while you’re completing your on the job training– this pay rate is determined by the VA depending on your terminal’s location.
- More than 100 veterans have already completed Swift’s VA apprenticeship program since the program was approved in April 2018– and another 86 are currently enrolled!
- Active duty members in the Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, Army and Air Force are eligible for the program as well as current or former National Guard members and Reserve members.
- There’s a program manager who will act as your advocate to make sure that you’re getting the benefits you deserve. Your program manager spends time reaching out to each driver in the program, submits paperwork on your behalf, and ensures that all requirements are met to make sure that you receive your benefits.
- While you take advantage of your GI Bill benefits through the VA apprenticeship program, your dependents or spouse could also earn their CDL with Swift’s assistance thanks to a veteran’s CDL scholarship program.
- Swift recognizes and respects the service provided by military members and takes pride in doing everything possible to make sure that they succeed in civilian life. Swift honors all veterans with a higher pay rate in recognition of their military service.
Those who are currently serving and those who have served in any component of the U.S. Armed Forces are an inspiration to the rest of us, and Swift believes that they deserve every opportunity to thrive in the civilian sector. “At Swift, hiring military veterans has been an important part of our culture for many, many years. There are many characteristics of people coming from the military that we find to be very attractive and we find to be a very good fit inside our company,” said Kevin Quast, Chief Operations Officer for Swift Transportation.
In the video below, U.S. Army Veteran Lester delves into his personal experience with Swift’s veteran programs.
There’s no better time than now to kick your civilian career into high gear and start taking advantage of your veteran’s benefits. If you’re ready, all you have to do is click here to get started.
Phoenix, Arizona-based Swift Transportation was founded 54 years ago and has grown over the decades to become one of the most recognized names in trucking, employing more than 22,000 professional drivers and providing a variety of transportation and logistics services throughout the U.S. and Mexico.
This is sponsored content.