A safety training provider has created a course specifically tailored to help keep truck drivers safe if they encounter highway protests.
Instructional Technologies detailed the protest safety training in a January 15 blog post. The company said that they added protest safety training information to existing courses on road rage.
In the blog post, Instructional Technologies points out that the best way to stay safe is to avoid roadway protests altogether by keeping up to date with news sites and social media pages that provide up to date information on when and where the activities are taking place.
In cases when protests can’t be avoided, Instructional Technologies offers the following tips to keep safe during protests:
- Avoid provoking or engaging with protesters
- Set the parking brakes
- Lock all doors and windows
- Remain in the vehicle if safe to do so, but evacuate with your belongings if you feel at risk
- Call law enforcement — they may not know there’s a problem
- Use a mobile phone or dash cam to record the event, but not if it provokes people
You can get some valuable safety tips in the video overview of the course below.
Over the past year, the trucking industry has been increasing on edge about the threat of violence after several drivers had run-ins with highway protesters that resulted in serious charges, injury, or even death.
Click here for more information on Instructional Technologies and their available courses.