September 11, 2001 is a day that shook American’s to their core, a day that rocked our sense of safety on our own land, a day we will never forget.
Information taken from: WTC 9/11
LOSS OF LIFE ON 9/11
Facts About The Victims Of 9/11
2,749 death certificates were filed relating to the WTC attacks, as of February 2005.
13 people died after the disaster, from injuries received on September 11; three of these
people died in Massachusetts, Missouri, and New Jersey, and the rest died in New York.
1,588 (58%) were forensically identified from recovered physical remains.
The median age for the victims was 39 years (range: 2-85 years); the median age was 38 years for females (range: 2-81 years) and 39 years for males (range: 3-85 years). Three people were aged under 5 years, and three were aged over 80 years.
23 New York City Police Officers died on September 11th, 2001.
People from 83 different countries died in the attacks on the World Trade Center.
September 11th timeline:
• 7:59 am – American Airlines Flight 11, takes off from Boston’s Logan International Airport en route to Los Angeles. 92 passengers are on board.
• 8:14 am – United Airlines Flight 175 takes off from Boston, headed to Los Angeles.
• 8:19 am – Flight attendants on Flight 11 send out an alert that the plane has been hijacked. American Airlines notifies the FBI of the hijacking.
• 8:20 am – American Airlines Flight 77 takes off from Washington, D.C. The plane has 67 passengers.
• 8:40 am – The FAA alerts NORAD’s Northeast Air Defense Sector (NEADS) about the hijacking of Flight 11. Two fighter planes are sent to follow Flight 11. Before the fighter planes can get to Flight 11, the plane hits the tower
• 8:46 am – American Airlines Flight 11 crashes into floors 93-99 of the North Tower of the World Trade Center.
• 9:03 am – United Airlines Flight 175 crashes into floors 75-85 of the WTC’s South Tower.
• 9:24 am – The FAA notified NEADS of the suspected hijacking of Flight 77 after passengers and crew aboard contact family members on the ground.
• 9:37 am – Flight 77 crashes into the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.
• 9:59 am – The South Tower of the World Trade Center collapses.
• 10:07 am – “After passengers and crew members aboard the hijacked Flight 93 contact friends and family and learn about the attacks in New York and Washington, they mount an attempt to retake the plane. In response, hijackers deliberately crash the plane into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, killing all 40 passengers and crew aboard.”
• 10:28 am – The World Trade Center’s North Tower collapses.
• 5:20 pm – The World Trade Center collapses.