With only three full months left in 2015, the FMCSA has made public a list of their top five priorities for the rest of the year.
1. Safety Fitness Determination: The FMCSA is working on a rule that would increase the use of inspection data to help make Safety Fitness Determinations.
2. Inspection Modernization: The FMCSA has updated their inspection software that will make roadside inspections quicker and easier for law enforcement officers.
3. Unified Registration System: The FMCSA will use an electronic “smart form” to improve the accuracy and timeliness of their motor carrier database.
4. Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) Phase III: The FMCSA will begin training Federal and State investigators on the new crash BASIC investigation that focuses on identifying trends in carrier crash behavior. They will also fine tune algorithms to help them more quickly identify at-risk carriers.
5. Electronic Logging Devices: The FMCSA will work toward completing a final rule on ELDs that will help to protect drivers from harassment and reduce traffic fatalities.