This article contains affiliate links.
In light of all the recent truck, GPS mishaps, it’s essential that if you’re going to invest in a GPS unit, you invest in a truck-specific GPS unit.
In March 2013, the FMCSA issued guidance on choosing the right GPS unit.
“Even one truck or bus striking an overpass is one too many, which is why we’re taking action to ensure professional truck and bus drivers know the importance of selecting the right navigation system,” said former FMCSA Administrator Anne Ferro.
Truck GPS units for professional truck drivers.
- Truck specific routing, customizable by vehicle dimension and hazardous materials restrictions
- Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts provide real-time traffic information along your route to help you avoid delays
- Free Lifetime Map Updates ensure that you have the most recent maps available, for the life of the GPS navigator
- High-resolution Large 7-Inch touchscreen display – 800 x 480 pixels WVGA TFT color display with white backlight
- Includes lifetime maps and traffic
- Specialized truck routing supports commercial class 8 rating
- Customizable restrictions include height, weight, width, length and hazardous materials
- Provides caution alerts for many posted road restrictions based on truck profile even when driving without a route
- With loud, clear voice instructions and phonetic pronunciation of street names
- 12 truck types, including straight truck; single and double trailers in various axle configurations
- Simplifies guidance for complex junctions
- Keeps track of on duty, on duty driving/off duty time based on GPS position
- Shows closest rest area, travel center, weigh station and mile marker at a glance
- Two new interface options: Ice and Carbon
- Commercial bus routing option
- Compatible with electronic logging solutions from Rand McNally