A recently released report analyzed and ranked the top 10 American cities for truck drivers to call home.
The report from SpareFoot and Indeed.com looked at factors like job availability for truckers, the average annual trucker salary, the median cost of homes, and the cost of rent, to determine which cities are more favorable for truckers.
Here are the results:
Top Ten Most Trucker Friendly Cities
- 1. Atlanta, Georgia. Atlanta has the highest share of trucking jobs and the highest annual driver salary at $64,000, way above that national average of $40,000.
- 2. Charlotte, North Carolina. Truckers in Charlotte make an average salary of $55,000 per year here and the cost of rent is very affordable.
- 3. Columbus, Ohio. Affordable housing, both in terms of rent and the median cost of a home, push Columbus into the number three spot.
- 4. Indianapolis, Indiana. There are lots of trucking jobs here and it is the second cheapest place to buy a house.
- 5. Chicago, Illinois. Rent and home prices are higher, but Chicago truckers make an average salary of $61,000 per year.
- 6. Houston, Texas. Houston truckers also make a fairly high yearly salary of $58,000 and jobs are pretty plentiful.
- 7. Kansas City, Missouri. Kansas City truckers enjoy the most affordable housing on the list.
- 8. Dallas, Texas. Dallas has a high number of available trucking jobs.
- 9. Louisville, Kentucky. Low housing costs help to earn Louisville a spot on the list.
- 10. Nashville, Tennessee. A $48,000 annual salary helps Music City make the top ten.