The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is reminding truckers to mark their calendars for a big upcoming tax due date.
The deadline to file and pay the Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (Form 2290) is August 31 for heavy vehicles used on the road in July 2021.
Anyone who registers a heavy highway motor vehicle in their name with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more must file Form 2290 and pay the tax, according to the IRS.
Ready to File? Here’s How
- Gather your information
- Employer identification number. You cannot use your Social Security number. If you don’t already have an EIN, apply now; it will take us about four weeks to establish your new EIN in our systems.
- Use the same name on your Form 2290 as was assigned to you with your EIN. Your name control on Form 2290 must match your EIN.
- Vehicle Identification Number of each vehicle.
- Taxable gross weight of each vehicle. Use the Tax Computation table on page two of Form 2290 to calculate your tax based on each vehicle’s taxable gross weight.
- E-file. Required if you are reporting 25 or more vehicles on Form 2290, encouraged for all for faster processing; you can receive a watermarked Schedule 1 within minutes. To avoid problems, ensure the watermark on your Schedule 1 is legible before submitting it to your state’s department of motor vehicles. You may need to reprint with fresh ink or on a different printer to ensure a legible watermark.
- Complete and mail Form 2290. See Form 2290 Instructions for the correct mailing address. Expect to receive your stamped Schedule 1 within 6 weeks after we receive your Form 2290.
- You must pay the tax in full with your Form 2290.
- Pay your taxes by credit card or debit card; You can pay by internet, phone, or mobile device whether you e-file or mail your return.
- Electronic funds withdrawal; authorize a direct debit as part of the e-file process.
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System; requires advanced enrollment, allow 5-7 business days for new accounts.
- Check or money order using Form 2290-V, Payment Voucher. Mail to:
- Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 932500
Louisville, KY 40293-2500
If you’re not sure whether you are required to file Form 2290, you can click here to access an interactive IRS tool to help you determine whether you must file.